Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

BBA Challenge: Baguettes


Well it's Friday night and the weekend is upon us and I am up late baking bread!! I realize I am not ready to move to France and get a job..but here is my first attempt at a french baguettes. I made one error I will explain down below.

Yesterday I made my pate fermentee and let it age in the refridgerator. Today I pulled it out of the cooler and cut it into 10 pieces and let it proof.












I then added the pate fermentee to the rest of the dough ingredients and mixed it. I let it proof up in an oiled bowl then cut the dough into 3 pieces and formed the baguettes. So far so good.


I made my homemade couch for the baguttes and here is where I messed up. I used wax paper and used empty paper towel rolls, a hot pad and the wax paper box to be the support. What I messed up on is I should have put some flour down on the wax paper as when it was time to transfer my dough to the peel the dough was sticking to the wax paper and it got missed shaped and did some deflation. I'll know for next time!





I slashed the dough and baked it. My homemade steam injection oven worked great. The flavor of the baguettes are wonderful. Thank you Chris from http://www.akuindeed.com/ for hosting our challenges!


I will definatly need to be practing this bread again but I have one batch under my belt-I think I'll do awesome next try!!!

4 comments:

  1. The paper towel rolls are a great idea! Crust and crumb look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice crumb! Did mine fri also, haven't posted yet.No matter the final shape the flavor is great! I too need work on shaping the baguettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice for you first time! The crust and crumb really look good. Very innovative using the paper towel rolls too. I love baguettes, nothing better than a lean dough with lots of flavor!

    ReplyDelete