This weeks BBA challenge was english muffins. I have never made them before and never even knew how it was done. This was exciting. I will admit, they tasted good but they were not perfection. Read along and learn from my mistakes.
I kneeded the dough and let it rise. Then I was going to equally scale the dough but I dropped my scale and broke it. Guess I need to purchase another one. I had to eyeball my dough balls. This recipe makes 6 english muffins. Once I had my balls made I put them on a cookie sheet with wax paper that is sprayed with oil and covered with corn meal. I then sprayed the top of the balls with oil and covered with corn meal. I allowed the balls to proof.
Once the balls were proofed they were put in my cast iron skillet to fry up. I had my pan too hot. The book said to cook them 5-8 minutes per side-I would have burnt them bad. So one side of my english muffins looked real burnt but the other side looked much better. I decided to keep the burnt muffin pictures to myself. I baked the muffins and my gut was that they were not ready but I had already let them go about 6 more minutes then the book said so I pulled them. My gut was right-they were doughy in the middle. Next time I will have the fry pan at a med-low heat and I won't use my cast iron pan-it just doesn't heat even. My muffins still tasted really good. I toasted them up which took care of some of the doughiness.
Thank you Chris from http://www.akuindeed.com/ for hosting our challenges.