Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

Being the daughter of Rose McNerney I believe qualifies me to bake Irish Soda Bread. I understand that the original soda bread recipes did not contain raisins and such but being the daughter of an Irish Mom also qualifies me to say...the Irish were not known for their cooking. It's OK, my Mom will not be offended, she knows. So when the St. Patricks Day celebration arrived I used to cook the traditional cornbeef and cabbage which my Irish Mom claims she had never heard of nor had until I told her about it. So I wonder how Irish the whole meal really is. Anyway, this is my version of soda bread-I took some different recipes and researched and invented my own. I used to make it at some bakeries I worked at and this recipe was featured about 4 years ago in the Wisconsin State Journal in which I was given credit for the recipe.

Irish Soda Bread

1 2/3 Cup Buttermilk
1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp baking soda
3 Cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 Cup Raisins or Currants
1 tsp Caraway Seeds

Add dry together then add the wet and stir together. Form into a ball and put on the baking sheet. Brush the dough with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 about 45 minutes.












Mix the dry in one bowl and the wet in another and combine it. Mix with a spatula until it it forms a ball. Put the ball on a baking sheet. Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar ontop of that. Cut a cross into the top of the dough ball. Bake at 350 for approx. 45 minutes. Enjoy it warm with butter!!










2 comments:

  1. Hi Coz , came across this site about the origins of corned beef and cabbage,thought you would be interested.
    http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/2kitch/acbeefcabge.html

    ReplyDelete